I like to make cute stuff. How about you?

I like to make cute stuff. How about you?

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Carlie's Pink & Red 2nd Birthday Party!

















I can hardly believe that my little girl is 2! I L-O-V-E planning parties and creating paper party goodies, so this was heaven on earth for me! It was the first time since starting Save Me A Seat that I actually got to plan and implement a party from start to finish. I have been researching parties and dessert buffets for months and was thoroughly inspired by the talented women in this field (Amy Atlas being the absolute guru on dessert tables). It was such a pleasure learning from these women who have successfully made party planning a career (they are my creative heroes.) I designed the dessert table with a lot of inspiration from the blogs listed below and many other websites where I caught glimpses of goodies that made me stop and think. I made the cupcake toppers (inspired by The TomKat Studio’s party circles), birthday banner, mantle banner, sweet treat bags, party hats, napkin rings (coming soon to my shop) and table coverings. The adorable birthday doll cake topper was made by Wee Cute Treasures. The mini two tier pink cake was made by LaSalle Bakery of Providence. I was so excited when my sister-in-law brought the cake in the house. It was EXACTLY what I was hoping for!

My daughter Carlie was the ultimate inspiration for her 2nd birthday party. She’s a busy, bright and bubbly little girl. She loves color, music, dancing, sweets and puppets. She frequently wears pink (I’m partial) and likes to get out there and get dirty. Unfortunately, we didn’t get a picture of the end result of her little birthday cake. She had a great time with many friends and family at her party. Thanks to her daddy, she even got to go swimming!

I couldn’t have set this party up without the help of friends and family. My in-laws were gracious enough to let us host the party at their home, help me with anything I needed AND let me do my “creative thing” with their living spaces. I enjoy creative freedom! I had no idea how much engineering came into play with party decorating! My brother-in-law and husband’s uncle helped craft up the lollipop garden, vase bases, and three-tiered cupcake display. When a large drill bit, utility knife or saw is involved – I stay out of it!

My mom, husband and sister-in-law were a tremendous help with keeping Carlie occupied while the living room transformed into her special party. Why is it that I always underestimate how long it actually takes to set things up? In my mind an hour, tops, will do it. I should know better by now! Because decorating and desserts are my thing I needed some serious help in the “dinner” section of the party! My best friend Michelle whipped up her delicious chocolate chip cookies and barley salad, my favorite green salad was prepared by my mother-in-law, the infamous Auntie Gloria’s potato salad was fixed by my mom and my sister-in-laws Rebecca and Rochelle didn’t let us down with some buffalo chicken dip, delicious guacamole and sangria. My husband did a fabulous job as grill master with those hot dogs and hamburgers. Now, a Cambio feast (even though it was a BBQ) would not have been complete without Nonna Cambio’s famous lasagna, ravioli, meatballs, sausage, braciole and sauce. That was a lot of food!

Little Carlie danced to her music, ate her cake, hugged her mommy and daddy, kind of opened her presents and smiled for all of her guests. She didn’t really know that all the fuss was about her, but she sure did enjoy her party and I enjoyed every minute of making it a special day for her!

Thank you to everyone who traveled from both near and far to celebrate this special day with us. It wouldn’t have been the same without you all!

Party Inspirations:
Tomkat Studio - http://tomkatstudio.blogspot.com/

Pen n’ Paper Flowers - http://penandpaperflowers.blogspot.com/

Fresh Chick Design Studio - Brandt’s Yo Gabba Gabba Party –
http://freshchickdesigns.wordpress.com/2010/05/26/brandts-yo-gabba-gabba-birthday-bash/


Bella Grace Party Designs - Alyssa Loves Pink - http://bellagracepartydesigns.blogspot.com/2010/03/real-parties-pink-party_19.html

Amy Atlas - http://www.amyatlas.com/


Last August, I was searching the web for cakes and I stumbled upon a blog called The TomKat Studio. Kim, from the TomKat Studio, is amazingly crafty and creative. She's a party planner, blogger, decorator and top notch mom. The minute I saw her lollipop collection I developed a “party crush” on this woman! I get lost in all of the goodies she posts about. Every single party she blogs about and every single item in her Etsy shop is absolutely incredible. She is already super successful with her business, but I am waiting for her to step in and take over for Martha. It’s bound to happen for Kim! Besides being a loving mom and an unbelievably crafty lady, Kim manages to continually update her website and give amazing, unsolicited spotlights to other people out there doing the same thing she is doing. I use her blog as a party library! Everything is organized and easy to find. I am thankful for people like Kim who inspire me to do something creative whenever I get the chance and the hope that moms can do what they love from home while raising their little ones. If you have not yet visited The TomKat Studio, it is something you need to put on your To Do list. You won’t be disappointed! But, if you forget, you WILL see her on Oprah or the Martha Stewart Show – whichever is lucky enough to book her first!

PS Carlie's great grandmother, Nonna Cambio, picked that white rose for her from her garden and attached it to her card. Complete with wet paper towel and plastic bag around the stem. How sweet is that?

15 comments:

  1. This party is precious! Thank you so much for sharing it with me and I truly look forward to more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So darling! My little girl turns 2 in november and I am already thinking party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So adorable! You did a wonderful job with all of the details. I'm in the process of planning a second birthday party for my twin girls and you've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did an amazing job! I'm so glad you shared this with me. Thanks for the sweet mention of my blog as part of your inspiration. I LOVE that you enlisted help from the men in your life. The dessert buffet was absolutely perfect. Love the color scheme you chose too! I just shared this with my fans on my fb fanpage:
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=13092822&id=429745180692

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a BEAUTIFUL job, Christie! Thank you for you VERY sweet words, you made my day!

    I love the flower cupcake toppers and the table setup looks fabulous!! You should be proud of all of your hard work!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so talented! This is beautiful! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whaow Christie, What an amazing birthday party. I LOVE LOVE LOVE all your touches - the amount of detail is staggering. I hope that Carlie realises how lucky she is.

    She looks such a sweetie - and I love reading about all the support you got from your family. Thank you so much for letting me know how the party went - and when I see the little doll 'in situ' I see how your colours work perfectly.

    Big hug, (and one for little Carlie), Carol :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. so cute! My lil angel was born on Valentine's Day - this would be soooo cute for her next bday. Thank you for sharing the pics. Amazing creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job - your attention to detail is A-mazing!

    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my god! I loved this blog. Everything looks perfect here, the decoration, the food arrangements and the color used, its so refreshing! I will also do something like this for my daughter’s birthday. I have also booked one of the home studios NYC for her party. Thanks for sharing your ideas here.

    ReplyDelete